Another great free-to-play game from Big Fish Games, Sir Match-a-Lot involves matching elements to create sets of 3 (or more) in a row. In addition to the things you expect from a Match-3 game: limited moves, various colors, and special elements for creating larger groups—Sir Match-a-Lot also involves quests, battles, and other unique types of gameplay. This game is free to play, so download it for Windows now!
Important note: It’s available on several platforms, but the tips, tricks, and free gold in this guide were only compiled for the Windows version of Sir Match-a-Lot.
To get your free copy of the game, click the “Download for Windows” button on the Sir Match-a-Lot game page, or use this direct download link for Windows. This will download the game’s installer directly to your computer — click on the downloaded file to install it.
Sir Match-a-Lot has a progression of levels which get more difficult over time. Each level contains at least one goal, which you have a limited number of moves to complete. In the screenshot below , for example, you have to turn all the spaces with a block background into normal spaces by clearing the elements they contain.
This is just one type of goal, however, and as you move on in the game, the goals will become more complex. If you fail to complete the goal within the given number of moves, you will have to try again, and you’ll lose a heart. Your hearts will regenerate over time, but you can also spend real money to purchase your maximum number of hearts, which starts at 3. Each additional heart is $3.99, and this is a great value if you’re enjoying the game.
If you manage to create a shape beyond the normal three in a row, you’re rewarded with one of these unique elements:
- Bomb Bonus: Earn Bomb Bonuses by making T- or L-shapes. When you clear a Bomb, it will cause all the elements around it to explode.
- Vertical or Horizontal Bonus: These are the reward for making four in a row. They clear all the elements in the same row or column. You can tell whether they’re horizontal or vertical from the arrows around them.
- Fireworks Bonus: This is the hardest reward to earn, because it requires a 5-match. Simply switch the Fireworks with a color to get rid of all elements of that color.
If you’re able to combine these bonuses they’ll be even more powerful than they would be separately.
You’ll earn Gold and other rewards for completing levels in Sir Match-a-Lot. The Quests menu on the right side of the main screen will show you your current quests, and if you’re not sure where to go, you can click on a quest to show it on the map.
Tip: Unlimited Hearts
If you look closely at the screenshot above, you’ll see an infinity sign inside a heart on level 6. Once you beat this level, you get 2 hours of unlimited hearts, meaning you can fail and replay as many levels as you want. However, those 2 hours pass even if you close the game. Since this is a rare opportunity, try to set aside some time when you get to level 6 so you can make the most of the unlimited lives.
Fireflies and the Arena
As you get further into Sir Match-a-Lot, you’ll find that your path is blocked. In order to go on, you’ll need to use Fireflies to remove the obstacle. There are a few ways to get more Fireflies. The simplest one is to earn them from levels, but eventually you’ll be able to purchase them in the shop or harvest them from your Firefly Farms.
Some special levels involve fighting against an opponent in a one on one battle. After completing level six, you’ll unlock the Arena, where you’ll be able to fight special enemies for unique rewards.
Boosts and the Shop
Boosts are the power-ups of Sir Match-a-Lot, and they can push you over the top of a difficult level. Some, such as the Trinket Boost (which gives you three Bomb Bonuses at the beginning of a level) must be activated before you start a level, while others can be used within a level. Boosts are unlocked over time, so some of the stronger ones aren’t available until later in the game.
In addition to Boosts, the shop also sells Gold. Gold requires real money, and you can use it to purchase Boosts or Fireflies. However, the Firefly Shop isn’t unlocked until you’ve beaten level 49.
Tip: Magic Wand Boost
The Magic Wand Boost, unlocked at level 15, is the most effective Boost that you can access early in the game. Once you’ve unlocked it, it should be your main Boost for difficult levels, since it can clear an entire row or column. Since all Boosts are expensive, however, only use them when you really need them.
Free Gold and Costume
New players can use a code to get some free Gold to get started in Sir Match-a-Lot.
To get 250 Gold:
- Check the comments below for a 6-digit code to use. If there are not yet any codes below, use E234EA.
- Once you’ve got a code, make sure you’ve reached level 5 in the game, then go to your mailbox in-game (it looks like an envelope on the left-hand side of the screen).
- Click the blue button that says “Enter your Code to claim your reward.”
- Enter your code to be awarded 250 Gold. It may take a few minutes to arrive.
To get a free Unicorn outfit:
- Click on your Hero at the bottom of the game.
- Scroll over to the Unicorn outfit and click the green ? in the upper left corner to get your invite code.
- Leave a comment below with your invite code for others to use.
- When someone redeems your code for Gold, you’ll receive the Unicorn outfit.
- Once you’ve got your outfit, please remember to come back, then reply to your comment to let everyone know you got the outfit. That way, new players can use someone else’s code instead.