Alert – Windows Users: Upgrade Your Java

June 12, 2012 · 62 comments

JavaStarting on Monday, June 18th, Pogo will be requiring all players on Windows operating systems to be running the latest version of Java (version 7, update 5). To see if you have the latest version of Java, use the official Check Java page. If you are running the latest version, you’re all set. If not, uninstall Java and then install the latest version of Java.

Once everyone (on Windows) is upgraded, Pogo says it will “help ensure a more consistent and enjoyable experience” for their players. (It’s about time!)

Thanks to MomsBassetHound and mellowmaddy for writing in with the news.

Update 6/13: Pogo has changed their news to now include this extra helpful information:

If you’re using Java 1.6.31 and 1.6.32 and not experiencing issues, no need to do anything. If you’re up to date, no need to do anything.

So maybe you won’t be required to upgrade on the 18th. Your mileage may vary.

If you have updated and you now cannot load games:
Uninstall all versions of Java (you can do this in Windows from the Control Panel) and use this link to install Java version 1.6.33 which is the latest of version 6. (Thanks to Miss Panda for the link!)

Filed under: general

1 goofygoober519 June 12, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Hmmm has me wondering why they will REQUIRE the latest version. A lot of people (like me!) don’t update it because it works fine as-is. I’ve updated Java before and has problems right after, so I generally don’t touch it.
Also reminds me, why hasn’t Pogo gone through and changed more games to flash? It’s kinda dumb having some flash and the rest Java. I like consistency!

2 BillTrout June 12, 2012 at 8:37 pm

goofygoober: They require stuff like this so that it’s one less thin they have to be responsible for maintaining. After Monday rolls around, they can ask “Is your java up to date?” and tell you to update it if it is not.

Also, major version numbers of some programs sometimes require different coding to support. They can drop support of all previous versions of Java in thier coding by doing this.

And I agree they need to make all of their games consistent, but they need to do so by going back to Java for everything, not moving everything to Flash.

3 Usako June 12, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Pogo can say they require this and that to make things run smother but, I will not be updating my Java just yet…I’ll say how things go on 6/18 to decide what to do!
When I updated my Java to 7.4 about three to four weeks ago I could not play a single game, not on Chrome, Firefox or IE, and a message saying I had to install a “window applet” kept appearing!!! Sure enough, when I switched to an older version of Java that I was finally able to play games!
Also, for the past four days all the games that were switched to embedded format have been appearing in the old school format of a pop-up right down to the old format of picking a room…I checked my settings under my account and the option for this is option is disabled so… I’m not sure whats going on with that!
Nonetheless, in these past four days my Pogo games have been running as smooth as silk and I love it lol! :P

4 silkprint June 12, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Thanx …just went and took care of the upgrade . Only took a few minutes .

5 Amanda ( 3maltese4Amanda on Pogo) June 12, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Also, there was a Flash update today for Win 7 users. Those who don’t have automatic updates might want to check for it. :)

7 beyechonjr June 12, 2012 at 10:06 pm

as usual.. i jumped and updated java..restarted comp and now all it does is load..the game wont load in.. not java games or inbedded ones so i am going to try and restore back to before …..

8 madmaude74 June 12, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Thanks for the heads up.

9 nessa June 12, 2012 at 10:32 pm

My exact words goofy and Usako.
I’m not sure what version of Java I have right now, all I can say it it is a very old version, I never update because after heard from so many that after updating they can’t play and then seeing all the trouble to go back to older versions I decided that for as long as I can keep playing I don’t care about the version running in my comp.
So, once again, I’m going to wait and see.

Bill # 2 I’m already seein that….now they will have one more excuse for some of their games not working sometimes, they will have Java (and our computers) to blame instead of accepting the problem it’s on their side, I bet everyone in the Help dept. is now been told ” from this date all you have say is ‘You need to update your java’ ” .
And of course I agree with you with what they really have to do is go back to Java for every game (except maybe for a couple games like Pucks and Flower Daze, that were originally created in Flash)

With that said, I have to accept that I have never ever had any problem to play with any game, not even when they are released. I’m talking more about what I’ve heard from friends.

10 PlusJenney June 12, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Thanks for the heads up! I just updated my Java, with no problems. I keep current with all Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Explorer, and Java updates, and luckily have never had a problem with Pogo (hope I didn’t just jinx myself!)

11 eagles227_98 June 12, 2012 at 11:56 pm

THANK YOU Lura for another GREAT post to keep us up to date on what is happening. I seldom read the pogo news anymore since I have BadgeHungry to keep me informed and up to date. Thank You Lura for the best pogo fan website on the net. Love and Prayers always.
Richard

12 Judi June 13, 2012 at 12:03 am

Many older computers cannot handle the latest versions of Java and Flash. I have not been able to play games on my ME computer for years because of this. Fortunately i can still get the updates for my VISTA computer . Apparently Pogo does not care that by DEMANDING these updates they are eliminating loyal members, whose only crime is to have an older computer. But then again, all they seem to care about is FACEBOOK, Kindle, Androids, etc. They blew off France and Germany and now they are showing their disregard for the rest of us.

14 LdyBlue June 13, 2012 at 12:44 am

this might help someone …so i decide to update (was playingfineall day) go back to play no games would load at all.did system restore still nothing uninstalled java reinstalled older version nothing then i remembered gee wonder if it could be my avg protection so i uninstall java then uninstalled avg went back to pogo went to triva pursuit asked to install java i did and now all games are working…this has happened to me before with norton .Im playing on Ie9/chrome both are working with embedded and java games.

15 Rob June 13, 2012 at 12:49 am

ugh I jumped the gun too and installed the newest java…too bad i uninstalled the old one, as I have no clue where or how to install an older version of java, since I had someone else set up my computer…none of my java games will load either now :(

16 Mandy June 13, 2012 at 12:50 am

Is the update working for everyone? I updated today, along with a batch of Microsoft Updates, and I cannot get ANY games to load at all. I have rebooted a bzillion times, uninstalled and reinstalled, etc etc etc. WTH

17 raymond112170 June 13, 2012 at 1:31 am

problem with version 7 Java has is that so far Canasta and QWERTY doesn’t work with version 7, I had to downgrade back to version 6, hope the 5th update works, its currently in the 4th update.

18 raymond112170 June 13, 2012 at 1:33 am

Amanda #5 I had the same thing for Vista, I don’t have mine set for automatic updates tho, just letting me know there is one.

19 Ardenwolfe June 13, 2012 at 2:19 am

A lot the games are giving players problems. For example, getting Scrabble to load is hit or miss . . . more often miss. While I’m doubtful a java update is the solution, I hope it will.

We’ll see.

20 cewxby June 13, 2012 at 5:08 am

I saw this message and updated Java this evening. No games would load after that. So, I uninstalled this latest version of Java and everything loaded just fine again. I sure hope this gets resolved or I won’t be playing any games starting June 18th. My problem did happen in both explorer and firefox. I did try both. I don’t know how to contact Pogo anymore to let them know this upgrade was a problem.

21 Storm June 13, 2012 at 5:12 am

Downloaded and installed the new version, then removed the older Java version. Restarted laptop, no problems at all.

Thanks for the reminder!

22 missusgail June 13, 2012 at 7:56 am

I updated to Java 7/5 this am, everything works fine in pogo, however my antivirus program detected : “exploit:java/cve-2011-3544.gen” and quarantined it… anyone else experience this?

23 kathy June 13, 2012 at 9:28 am

hi thanks for the update and there is a update for flash i saw too….
i uninstall the older version of java and install the new version of java… rebooted after i did the install… told it was unsuccessful… then i tryed to install the new version and it worked..
good luck to everyone with the update

24 Zerpiah June 13, 2012 at 11:03 am

Do we really need to uninstall before we download the new Java? Ive always copy right over before.

25 michelle June 13, 2012 at 11:52 am

I really think deleting old versions is based on your computers. I have windows 7, did the update and didn’t have to reboot or remove the old version!

Lovetheavs420

26 Camille June 13, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I played Scrabble day. Now that I up graded the Java I cant load Scrabble or Querty

27 oxfordstnboots June 13, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Just wanted to mention that I saw this post this morning so thought I would go ahead and do it. Dumb move. Pogo says their games are not compatible with that version, as of yet anyway. Spent a couple hours trying to get the old version back. Had to have live chat to help me.

28 jigsawing June 13, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I just upgraded. So far, all is working well using Firefox, but I am antsy about it all after reading the posts here. But, fingers crossed, all games are working (embedded and pop-up) thus far.

29 Pat June 13, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I loaded the new java from the BH link after removing the old. Then I checked to make sure the version loaded. On my control panel programs, is said:

Java(TM)7update5 (Oracle) AND JavaFX2.1.1

What does the 2nd one do?????

30 MomsBassetHound June 13, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Pat #29 – If you go to the Oracle (Java) website you can put “JavaFX” in the search box and it will explain what it is. I read it and it looks like it is for a business, but I’m not a computer whiz :) I’m leaving it on as long as it doesn’t interfere with my Pogo….LOL

Within the last 24 hours I’ve uninstalled all my Java, installed the new Java, did the Flash Player update, and then a huge Windows update this morning. But all my games are working just fine!!!

31 ALWAYSEARLY June 13, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I down loaded the update on Java and couldn’t access some of the games so I uninstalled and everything is working ok now.

32 Evil Queen June 13, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Well I won’t be upgrading it unless the site gives me problems. Otherwise forget it. If I update Java I won’t be able to play on another site that I like to play on so that is an issue as well there.

33 rabbitandkitty June 13, 2012 at 5:41 pm

well im gonna wait till monday see how the games run,cause my games run perfectly well,if they run like now i wont bother updating,only if there seems like there are issues will i update.why bother updating if every thing is running smoothly,i remember some thing like this couple yrs ago and it caused chaos for others and i didnt update all was fine.

34 eagles227_98 June 13, 2012 at 6:20 pm

This JavaFx is a “fix” they made to the download after it was released, the fix also downloads. The only problem I have is with my Norton having to accept the assorted”plugins” . Also, many of you will get the “kill or wait” pop up. When that happens, (always when first starting a game not in java files), I just wait and it will eventually load it. Once I had to close all pages and try the game again and everything was fine. I realize there a a lot of assorted issues with all pogo changes. Most if not all my problems are using the Google browser. Let it do its thing and don’t panic. Remember, all the game files and java files have to be redownloaded. Even when pogo makes even the slightest change, adjustment, etc to any game , it has to download new files. I hope this helps you a little. Love and prayers always.
Richard

35 rock June 13, 2012 at 8:27 pm

WHOAAAAAA, somethings wrong here? I DL sun java 7.5 after deleting 6.32 and now I cannot get into games except embedded games? popup blocker is not checked and no other settings was changed. I have done a restore to earlier time when all was working and I still cannot get into regular games except embedded games. working on this at present as I did the the treasure badge but cannot get into Lost temple? it just sits there saying ” Now loading Lost temple poker with the 3 dots at the end of poker going 1-2-3 over and over for 5 hours .
any suggestions on what could have happened?

36 eagles227_98 June 13, 2012 at 9:43 pm

#35
Did you restart your pc? If you did, try closing all browsers and reopening. When game takes forever to load, i close all browser windows and try again. Also, you might try shutting off your virus detector and opening a game that way. Read all post here with assorted suggestions. GL kiddo.
Richard

37 Chris W June 13, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Ok, what about us MAC users? There is already some funky stuff going on. I have to switch between Safari and Chrome as it is. Many times Firefox doesn’t even ‘see’ java. totally weird.

Chris W (jwalters1395)

38 zippiestfriend June 13, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Well silly me updated, and now can’t play anything, sigh

39 zippiestfriend June 13, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I just deleted the new version I downloaded and lo and behold my games have loaded now. Hope I don’t need the new version

40 Usako June 14, 2012 at 12:47 am

Rob #15, you can go to oldapps.com and download an earlier version of Java.
(This is a website worth bookmarking for quick and future reference).

Mandy #16, you can also go to oldapps.com to download an earlier version of Java.
I’ve had to download an earlier version of Java because the newer version of Java did not let me play ANY Pogo games whatsoever!

I have Java 1.6.32 and have had not one problem with playing games on Pogo…I’m really glad I won’t need to upgrade my Java anytime soon! :)

41 BonBon June 14, 2012 at 1:27 am

With them (Pogo) telling us to do this makes them sound ‘bossy’. I don’t like it.
I believe, if my version of Java runs the games just fine then I’m not changing a thing.
A few years back when there was a Java update it totally messed up ( and that’s my polite wording ) the whole table in Cribbage. The cards were messed up, the chairs were messed up, the scoring was messed up, so all of us regular crib players had to revert back to an older Java version to be able to play the game. I learned from that experience to update ONLY when necessary.

42 rock June 14, 2012 at 2:21 am

I finally was able to get back in to regular games, by deleting java 7.5 and re-installing 6.32 after almost 10 hrs of trying to figure out what happened from my previous statement above. by the way 7.5 would not let me in regular games in either of the 3 browsers, chrome, IE or firefox….? why any web site has to use Java is beyond my understanding or even flash players????

43 terri June 14, 2012 at 8:54 am

I too updated JAVA only to find out the games wouldn’t load. I solved the problem by deleting JAVA completely and re-installing it. I should have read instructions before updating you do have to delete the older versions. Everything is working fine now.

44 Patty05253 June 14, 2012 at 9:20 am

Well I won’t do that again…down loaded the new version of Java and what a mess……a lot of my programs no longer worked …..and I had to do a system restore and now I am back to normal…..Thank Goodness ! If its not broke then don’t mess with it ! and Pogo can kiss my Java (_(_) !

45 raymond112170 June 14, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Oh good, because I updated to version 7 and it still isn’t working right, so I went back to version 6

46 jigsawing June 14, 2012 at 1:38 pm

What a mess! I downloaded 7.5 yesterday.. everything worked fine. Today, everything was a mess as others have posted. Ugh. 2 hours to get it back to functioning on older version 6.32. Scary thing is, I was just about to start fooling around with Security factors.
That would have been a whole new (but dangerous) mess. Dread Monday.

47 raymond112170 June 14, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I have 1.6.33, guess I’m ahead of that update.

48 ~*~Bobbi~*~ June 14, 2012 at 2:23 pm

why cant pogo leave things alone! after i messed with java nothing worked on pogo until after i rebooted then nothing worked with ANY other programs and i ONLY found that out late last night & it took me till 4am to get everything running correctly! (I HOPE!)

49 rock June 14, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I just did 2 other win 7 new out of box that did not have any java at all, java7.5 did work and after DL pogo and trying I found It takes much longer to get in room…takes far too long loading…..I think next Monday there are going to be many dissatisfied pogo members and they will be so mad and foaming at the mouth they may throw their pc”s out in the street, so I will go out and buy a big truck and cruise the neighborhoods…

50 raymond112170 June 14, 2012 at 6:47 pm

To #49 what if the computers are in pieces?

51 Camille June 15, 2012 at 7:31 am

I had to uninstall this version of Java. Now I can once again play my favorite games.

52 BonBon June 18, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Just a heads up~
Today is the 18th and I did not update my Java and I’ve been able to play all the Java games just fine :-)

53 Lura June 18, 2012 at 3:14 pm

BonBon: yeah, Pogo changed the wording of their news announcement to basically say if you’re not having problems don’t worry about updating. :) Lucky us.

54 Caren June 18, 2012 at 8:08 pm

I am unable to play any of the Java games tonight. I have version Java 1.6.0_31 and use Chrome. I’m scared to update to version 7. A window pops up saying “You are currently using an unsupported version”.

55 MomsBassetHound June 18, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Caren #54 – I updated both my computers to Java 7 and I’m able to play all the games on Pogo without a problem.

56 Caren June 18, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I was just about to update and tried one last time and the Java games work now.

57 swirrrly June 18, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I did not update my java and everything is still working just fine so if it ain’t broke don’t fix it! :)

58 rock June 18, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Google chrome must have changed, because you cannot get “options” and get underthrhood to do what pogo suggests here in their help section…

Solution
Please follow these instructions to enable Java though your Web browser:

Internet Explorer
Click Tools and then Internet Options
Select the Security tab, and select the Custom Level button
Scroll down to Scripting of Java applets
Make sure the Enable radio button is checked
Click OK to save your preference

Firefox
Start Mozilla Firefox browser or restart it if it is already running
At the top of the browser, select the Firefox button (or Tools menu in Windows XP), then Add-ons
The Add-ons Manager tab will open.
In the Add-ons Manager tab, select Plugins
Click Java (TM) Platform plugin to select it
Click on the Enable button (if the button says Disable, Java is already enabled)

Chrome
Click on the wrench icon, then select Options.
Select Under the Hood and then Privacy Content Settings.
The Content Settings panel will appear.
In the Plug-ins section, select the Disable individual plug-ins link to check whether Java is enabled
Click on the Enable link (if the Disable link appears, Java is already enabled)
?

59 nessa June 18, 2012 at 11:23 pm

As I said in another comment, I have a very old version, just checked and it is 1.6.0_17
Of course I didn’t update and waited for today to see what happened.
So far my games are loading and working fine !
As long as I can keep playing I don’t care about how old my Java is, so no updates for me, at least for now…

61 LindaKaye49 June 19, 2012 at 5:05 am

I upgraded my Java last week and having no problems at all. I wish all the best in getting their problems worked out. All I did was take my old Java off and put the new on and rebooted my comp. Good luck to everyone.

62 rock June 23, 2012 at 7:26 am

I for one have had nothing but problems since java came out requiring everyone to DL latest version 7.5 whereas I could not get into many different games and “NOW LOADING” just sit there doing nothing on one test for over an hour. so I went back to version 6.33 of java and had to put up with all the update warnings by clicking “load anyway”
now this may not be for everyone, But what I did was to keep java 6.33 and went and DL an old version of CHROME from “File hippo” when i know they had feature of under the hood for some settings that latest Chrome does not have.
Now with java 6.33 and older version of Chrome (which mine is dated 5/30/12 I can now get in games instantly and with no update warnings and no DL sitting their with the dots going on and on and on.
I also have deleted from add/remove “Chrome updater” till such time pogo and Java gets thier act together..