Save $5 on a $20 EA Game Card

March 16, 2012 · 74 comments

EA Game CardCheck your local GameStop store location, EA Game Cards are on sale for $5 off until April 1st.

EA Game Cards can be redeemed for 350 Gems or a 3-month Club Pogo subscription. If you redeem yours for Gems, you’ll be paying approximately 4.3 cents per gem, lower than any of the regular Gem packages Pogo offers.

This sale is only available in GameStop stores in the US. When you’ve arrived at the store, look for the display full of game cards and gift cards with the $5 off signage, shown below. The EA cards (shown above, follow the arrows below) are dark blue and feature the EA logo and a Pogo Mini.

GameStop Display, EA Game Cards

This sale is a nationwide promotion through GameStop stores. BadgeHungry readers have reported that calling their local GameStop to inquire about this sale has not been helpful, as the associates didn’t have any information about the sale and did not notice the signage right in front of them.

Thanks to GoNILor4p for the heads up and BonBon for additional research.

Filed under: promotions and events

1 GoNILor4p March 16, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Such a great deal!

2 BonBon March 16, 2012 at 4:30 pm

LOL @ GoNIL from the other thread:
My Game Stop clerk said…’we’re so busy with promos from a bunch of companies, we can’t keep up’
That’s why I didn’t call and went there instead. Sweet savings!

3 BonBon March 16, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Glad you mentioned the ‘savings per gem’ Lura. Before I went to buy mine I did the math too and it’s a great savings per gem. :-)

4 MomsBassetHound March 16, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Very Happy Camper here :)

It turns out that I have a Game Stop right next to where I have my prescriptions filled. When I went to pick up my meds I stopped at the local Game Stop. They keep the cards behind the counter, and had no idea what I was talking about. He ended up having to go into the back to get the cards for me. I’m now stocked up for the rest of the year!!!

So, don’t just call, take a drive. It’s well worth the time.

5 MomsBassetHound March 16, 2012 at 4:54 pm

And forgot the best part…..no tax, and our tax here is over 8%

6 Tweetssun March 16, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I have never bought the cards before. I just bought my first gem package because of all the re-released M&M badges. Does anyone know if you can use two cards on your account and then buying the $39.99 package?

7 Lura March 16, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Tweetssun: no, one card = one 350-Gem package. Two cards = two 350-Gem packages.

8 spliff March 16, 2012 at 5:03 pm

shame we dont have them on this side of the pond. im all for saving when possible

9 jennbrewers March 16, 2012 at 5:18 pm

This is awesome. For Christmas I asked for a couple EA Game Cards, my Gems dwindled quickly after using them. I’m ready for more and what a way to get them! A sale on Gift Cards, very nice.

10 rock March 16, 2012 at 5:20 pm

wonder if wal-mart has them? im a 100 miles from any game store.

11 Randy March 16, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Nice find GoNI and Bon!

I’m gonna head over to Game-stop now instead of Wal-mart. I would feel bad if anyone went on the 1st to get one. Walk up to the clerk and ask for one and the clerk would say “Here ya go. April Fools” lol. Have a good weekend all. <3

12 Pat March 16, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I called one store, said “no”, and basically told me that it sounds like a hoax–called the second store about one block over, and manager said “Yes, I have it right in my hand, and was just reading about it. Need to alert my clerks..” So, it pays to find the employees who are in the know.

13 sunshine776224 March 16, 2012 at 5:52 pm

@rock yes walmart has them but they wont be on sale.

I am going to go buy a couple also. You dont ever find them on sale.

14 jennbrewers March 16, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Rock, Walmart carries them. You can buy them at: Walmart, Target, Blockbuster, Toys R Us, Best Buy, 7/11, Safeway, and Game Stop. You can also order them online at pcgamesupply.
But only Game Stop has the sale. :(

15 Brenda March 16, 2012 at 6:03 pm

That is really great deal…I will go to Wal-mart tomorrow and get the EA card for the gems that I only have 5 gems left…Hopefully that Wal-mart EA card on sale for $15.00 and save $5.00…Lure, pls let me know its on sale from Wal-mart?

16 popcornlady March 16, 2012 at 6:08 pm

i missed this deal last time. my local walmart said theyd match the price of the ones on sale if i could produce the sale ad and printed from the store website was good enough for them or the flyer!

17 popcornlady March 16, 2012 at 6:09 pm

my local walmart been out of ea game cards for the last 2 weeks
some convience stores sale them but i dont know about price matching sems like its ea it would be same price e1 til april 1. their games are!

18 popcornlady March 16, 2012 at 6:11 pm

tweet last time i checked you can buy gems as often as you like and have them added to your acount
it shouldnt matter if you add two game cards for gems
just do them seperately one at a time to get the gems
and i have had up to 3000 gems in my account before for doing peanuts lab stuff.

19 popcornlady March 16, 2012 at 6:14 pm

sorry over 1000 in account at one time theres a offer that will net you 1500 gems in one go if you qualify.

20 popcornlady March 16, 2012 at 6:29 pm

wow ea cant get thei act together still. the sale not listed on their official site tagret walmart and best buy and other game stores sell the cards but they dont promote the 5 dollar reduction in price.
this is exactly what they did they last year. the retailers all wanted to fight about the price drop because they werent notified and they wound up calling their shoppers liars because nobody could produce an actual store sale add or print anything off the store website1 way to go again ea! gl trying to get in on this again. these are the reasons i couldnt get the deal last year! lura you should let e1 know since your posting the thread here and telling e1 its on sale. im not gonna bother i remeber how it was last year. my local walmart thought i was lying to them. and ea should make this thier card price til april 1st everywhere they do it with their platform games!

21 popcornlady March 16, 2012 at 6:40 pm

ok read again gamestop has the sale on cards. ok well nobody else will match the price unless you can produce the sale ad for the store or print it off their website. theres no mention of the card on sale on the website. so its only if you walk in the store.. i was in mine last week. i bought the last card they had said they didnt know when they d get more. my local walmart has been out for 2 weeks.. if you cannot produce the store flyer where it says its on sale or print it off their store website walmart will not match it. neither will any others.

22 TomT March 16, 2012 at 6:58 pm

This is certainly a great deal and, since I’m now down to only 5 gems, I’ll almost certainly be taking advantage of it. Thank you all very much for this notification!

Tweetsun, as Lura mentioned, you can only use one card at a time so you’ll only get 350 gems for each card but, at $15/card that’d be 700 gems for $30 which is still a better deal than the 750 gems for $39.99 and, if you can afford it, you can buy even more.

As for availablity, I’ve only found the cards at GameStop and Target stores here in Delaware. I’ve checked Wal-Mart and K-Mart and they never seem to have them around here but, obviously, it’s a regional issue of which stores carry them and, besides, it looks like only GameStop is having this sale but hopefully other stores may end up matching it because it is a good deal.

- Tom

23 Lura March 16, 2012 at 6:59 pm

The EA Game Card is available at several retailers, as listed on the EA Game Card web site, but this particular promotion is only at GameStop stores until April 1st.

24 Pat March 16, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Question–can you use two (2) EA cards to pay a year subscription or not?

25 Lura March 16, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Pat: no, one card = one three month subscription. Two cards = two three month subscriptions.

26 popcornlady March 16, 2012 at 7:31 pm

as far as proof of the sale to show other retailers i decided to take a picture of this one displayed here on this website to show other stores such as wal mart. only problem is that it doesnt say its from game stop anywhwere on display and it doesnt give a time of the beginning of the sale and when it ends. but its worth a try… maybe… but you can clearly see its the ea game cards so i guess now it will be up to how picky the stores want to be about it all!

27 popcornlady March 16, 2012 at 7:36 pm

ill post back and let you know what my local walmart had to say about it.

28 Ed March 16, 2012 at 7:40 pm

This rocks. There are 3 gamestop stores in my humble little town and I picked up 3 cards in 5 minutes. 9 bux is 9 bux!

29 popcornlady March 16, 2012 at 7:48 pm

ok i followed up on all this i called my local gamestop store and talked to the maanger. i am tld its a in store only promtion there will be no addition of it in any flyers nor added on to the website. he confirmed the price and the begin/end dates. as far as getting anybody else to match he said if you can take a picture of the sinage as was done heere on bh to prove to other retailers its for real and if they have further questions to call the gamestop nearest them. id reccommend you walk in with the photo and the phone number of your local gamestop store and get them to call the number. get the clerkmanagers name you spoke to if you do what i did before going into another retailer. gl all with this! hopefully my walmart has got some more cards in before this promo ends!

30 popcornlady March 16, 2012 at 7:53 pm

w2g big Ed! the nearest game stop to me is 45 mins away on a good day = 30 miles walmart is 7!

31 playcody06 March 16, 2012 at 7:53 pm

is this only in the states .can canada have these cards in walmart

32 Seth5545 March 16, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Yes it was a great surprise today when i was at Gamestop to pick up a new game, and to my luck i saw it 5$ off and i had to get a card what a steal!

33 rock March 16, 2012 at 9:03 pm

sometimes clerks makes mistakes, i told him 10.00 off on 2 cards was a promotion sale so he sold me 4 cards for 40.00 and no tax. wow what a deal with exception that badges pays no returns, you cannot sell them,cash them in or arrest anybody with them. lol

34 BonBon March 16, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I have something funny to add.
When I was talking to the store clerk while he was ringing them up for me, he asked me “So what exactly do you buy at EA with these cards?”

Ah, if he only knew what addicts we are!! LOL!

35 MomsBassetHound March 16, 2012 at 9:39 pm

BonBon #34 – The clerk in my store didn’t even know what EA was…. and there was sign on the wall behind me promoting an EA golf game.
EA was written in RED and the size of my Holly’s head. How the clerk stood behind the counter, looking at that wall all day, and didn’t know what EA was just floored me…..LOL

Bon…..If you had said gems you could really have confused him :)

36 Cathy Lance March 16, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Thank you for the tips on saving. Think I will buy a few cards and use them to buy gems.

Cathy

37 Ms T~ March 17, 2012 at 1:30 am

Here is a warning and a tip for ya all that bought the EA Cards wtg on a Great Deals, BUT when you add your gems with the cards take a screen shot of your gem transaction after showing they were added and I would hold on to those cards for at least a Month or until the gems are gone that you used up using those cards. Its a Good Hearted tip trust me!!!

38 Catherine March 17, 2012 at 3:48 am

Does this work in australia?

39 ohyeah350 March 17, 2012 at 9:40 am

Not mention the uk …..that’s so unfair…so sad..

40 BonBon March 17, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Heeehee @Moms #35
Thanks for the comment Ms T~
I do the same thing when I add an iTunes card to my iTunes account. If I have more than one card, I add the code only when my account is close to 0 and I do not stock pile them on top of one another.

41 Bill P March 17, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Really appreciated this post. I found the Store, didn’t know it existed. It is in the same area I generally shop. Picked up 6 cards today at 15.00 each and no sales tax.

May go back and get a few more. I seem to go through 750 gems every 2 months.

Thanks again

42 MomsBassetHound March 17, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Ms T #37 – Thanks for posting that, but I have a question. Have you run into a problem with these cards? I was going to add all the cards that I got, but if there’s a problem I will wait and do them only as needed.

Thanks for any input on these!!

43 popcornlady March 17, 2012 at 1:21 pm

for mrs t thanks for warning…b ut i have bought and redeemd ea game cards for last 6 mos no problems. and i always get a confirmation email for it. and its hows the transactions immediately. if someone is encountering issues contact help live chat and have them add the code from their side! no problems there either!
i did encounter a error last week when i tried to use my credit card. it was my fault not pogo. i had two payment methods selected. my regular card and then told it visa.. had to uncheck second one no problems. got my gems. i think ppl complaining saying they cant purchase gems and get error saying the card number is not unique to that account are doing the same thing! its on their end. make sure you only have your origianl payment method selected.

44 Ger March 17, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I bought 2 of them yesterday, great deal

45 sweetandprecious March 17, 2012 at 1:45 pm

This is a great deal! I just picked up two cards a couple of weeks ago…but,knowing I have a game stop right down the street, I think I might just go and pick a couple more up. With all the great deals and new items on pogo,We will need them! Happy St. Patty’s Day to all! Now,back to cooking my corned beef and cabbage, yummy!! Have a fun and safe weekend all..God Bless!

46 Marithoner March 17, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I must be really really dense. I don’t know how to purchase more gems using the EA game card. My account only asks for credit cards. Help anyone?!! Miss Dense

47 Marithoner March 17, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Duh…sorry. Put on my Pogo glasses and read the back of the EA game card on how to proceed. Sorry for the post. Really Miss Dense

48 Ms T~ March 17, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Mom #42 YES!, I lost 700 gems and took over a month for EA to help, tried live chat and emails, everything!!! I know how to use the cards, they showed up as being there my gems did and then when i went to use them two days later they were gone!!! So as I have stated above keep records and copies that they are there and keep your cards until you have used your gems. It was a SERIOUS nightmare as if you get caught in a “GLITCH” with all the changes like I did and dont have your cards and trust your gems will be there you can think again and when you go to EA live chat help as soon as you notice and they say what are the numbers to your cards and what are you going to say? The same thing I said they are in my local landfill and I am not digging for them now!! But on the good side over a Month and a HALF of live chats daily posts everywhere I can think of to get help and EMAILS like crazy It has been fixed. I have used cards like EA for years as my son is a avid gamer and Game Stop I have part ownership in LOL…Im just saying be safe and copy those things so you have proof and keep those cards til you know you do not need them any longer.

49 Sandy March 17, 2012 at 4:23 pm

There was no sign indicating a sale, but it rang up with the discount. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

50 Jamie (LocoBonita82) March 17, 2012 at 5:11 pm

We had to do our grocery shopping last night and ended up at a Wal-Mart that had a GameStop right next to it. I conned my husband into buying a couple for me ;) Well, I go in, see where they keep the cards, see the advertisement…but don’t see the EA cards anywhere. I went and asked the clerks. One of them knew what I was talking about, the other did not, lol. They looked on the computer and said, “hmmmm it shows here we have 16 of them. Maybe we haven’t put them out yet.” So he looked behind the counter. Nothing. I said, “I’m going to go look behind other cards…maybe they got misplaced.” Sure enough, after 30 seconds of looking, they were behind some cards for Gaia, which I’m not familiar with, lol. I was happy! My question for the clerk was, “how many people actually buy these Facebook credits cards?” lol

51 Rose March 17, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I went to Game Stop and bought a few of these cards.. it wasn’t advertised at the store that they were on sale.. but they rang up 15 dollars.

52 Mrs. Mike Brown March 17, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Thanks GoNIL and Bon Bon! I got 4 today. The guy didn’t know what they were. After I explained it to him the other guy working there said ‘Cool, I’m gonna buy some’. My questions are Do we pay tax to pogo when we check out? I thought I remember paying tax when I bought gems last. Can we use 2 cards to get the 750 gems? Not sure how this all works.

53 MomsBassetHound March 17, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Mrs. Mike Brown #52 – No, you can not use 2 cards for the $40 package. But it’s still a lot less per gem even with only being able to purchase the $20 packages.

As to paying tax on gems, it depends on what state you live in. I have always paid tax since I moved to Texas. EA has an office in Texas and that is why I have to pay tax on Pogo products.

54 Mrs. Mike Brown March 17, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Moms Thanks for your answers. Yea it still is cheaper.

55 rainydaze1324 March 18, 2012 at 2:01 am

This would be so awesome…if only the GAMESTOP closest to me had not been destroyed in the Leap Day tornado of Harrisburg…:( I hope they rebuild!!!

56 popcornlady March 18, 2012 at 9:05 am

well i go up to the city tommarrow. wil make a trip to toys r us and most likely best buy. i will go in with the picture of the display i took from here and the phone number to my store and see what they have to say1 i will post back here and let you all know.
i dont pay taxes if i buy the gems directly off of pogo with my debit card. but i do out in any store i buy the cards in.

57 Sal March 18, 2012 at 11:55 am

I have a friend in UK. If I buy the EA cards in US, can I give UK friend the “code” so she can buy the gems?

58 ~*~Bobbi~*~* (bjvs1118) March 18, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I found a Local Game Stop & called b4 I wasted a trip. Luckily the clerk knew about the sale, but the store was out of them. He told me to call back after Tuesday . Very nice of him to even check for me.

59 Storm March 18, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Sal #57 – No, it’s not possible.

If you try to redeem the $20 EA Game Card outside the United States, you will get this message…

“Whoops! We’re sorry, your account shows that you live in a country outside the United States.

If that’s incorrect,please contact our customer service team to help you get it resolved. Just click the “help” link at the top right corner of the page.”

60 Faith March 18, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Is there an expiration date on these cards?

61 Ed March 18, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Sal #57 – can you gift items to your friend? If so, you could buy the card for them and gift badges until the gems are used up. It may not come out exact but at 4 cents a gem the error won’t be very large.

62 Lura March 18, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Faith: there was no expiration on the cards I bought last year (that are still sitting in my desk, just checked).

63 Faith March 18, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Thank you Lura. My hubby just picked up 5 for me (bought all that was in the store, lol.) But since no expiration, I am going to pick up 2 more at another store soon….going to have a lot of fun! Have a great week all.

64 Sal March 18, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Thank you Storm and Ed.

65 popcornlady March 19, 2012 at 2:27 pm

ok follow up. i went into best buy and they honored the card at the 15 dollar price! i gave them the picture i copied from here. they had to call the store and confirm the price… even though i was going to probably go to gamestop i bought the cards from best buy anyway because the game stop near me is terriable about having merchandise for sales when they are supposed to have it.
i did not check at toys r us. we did not find anything to buy. my daughter was looking for a specific toy and game they had neither. walmart i know will honor the 15 dollar price as long as i bring in the copied pic from here with the phone number.

66 lora March 19, 2012 at 2:36 pm

i just bought a 20.00 dollar ecard from walmart and was charged 20.00 not the 5 dollars off. what do i do or did i do something wrong? thank you for helping me out

67 Lora V March 19, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I just got 2 cards at Game stop in Harrisburg. They didn’t have a sale sign on them for the $5.00 off, so I asked the clerk. He didn’t know if they were on sale so he scanned them and sure enough, they were.
They were not on sale at Best Buy.

68 popcornlady March 19, 2012 at 3:07 pm

yes lora. you did not say anything nor did you provide walmart with any proof the cards were on sale anyplace else.
this sale is in store only there will not be any ads for it. i was already told this from game stop store manager. best thing to do is to copy/paste this display pic from here where you can see its on sale and print the picture and call the gamestop near you to ask if they know about the sale, get the clerks name write down the number you called go into walmart with pic and number. they will prolly call. idid this at best buy today. its not going to automatically ring up 15 dollars in any store. even game stop has to enter it themselves.

69 Kat8mouse March 19, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Got mine today at Game Stop. They had plenty. This is a great buy. I will probably buy one more before the sale goes off on April 1st. Thanks Lura for brining this to our attention!

70 Esqué March 19, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I bought a bunch at two different gamestops and they did scan at the discounted price. The clerks didn’t have to do anything but scan.

71 beth March 19, 2012 at 4:13 pm

lora #60 also a lot of times wal-mart will NOT match a internet sales ad, or the wal mart where i live WONT….not even if its their own internet ad…..how i know is when i bought my ipod they were 225.00 in the wal-mart store here and i copy and pasted their internet ad at wal-mart.com and took it to them and they said we cannot mach NO internet ad…just saying …BUT its definately worth a try but when the cards didnt scan or ring up 15.00 i would NOT have bought them or just take em back to wal mart with your recipt tell them its not what you needed and go to a gamestop store as thats where the sale is @ all gamestop stores or see if walmart will honor gamestop’s price thats only 2 options i see for ya @ this point good luck <3 BIG HUGS boop

72 Sunny March 19, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Thank you so much GoNILor4p for the heads up and BonBon, Lura, popcornlady and everyone else for all your helpful hints.
We are 55 miles away from the closest GameStop store. I called on Sunday to see if they had any of the cards. The clerk checked, scan to find out they were on sale. I asked him if he would be able to hold 6 for me and I would be in town on Monday… he said he would. Went in early this morning.. he had 6 in the drawer for me. I ended up buying 10. Thank you again everyone for all your help.
Sunny

73 Patti March 19, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Went to GameStop today and got some cards. What a great savings. Badgehungry is the best. Thanks to all.

74 nanapunk March 20, 2012 at 1:48 am

I picked up several!! Thanks for the heads up!!

75 popcornlady March 20, 2012 at 6:30 pm

alls well that ends well!
i had no problem with getting my gems addeed or spending them! i spent half already!

76 MomsBassetHound March 29, 2012 at 10:58 am

I went into my accounts last night and added all the cards that I purchased.

I received an email for each card that I entered. It gave me the # of gems I had originally and the # of gems I had after adding the 350.

I got the emails within minutes of entering the card info. I have kept all the emails, but don’t expect any problems. The gems were added immediately.

I really do like a good sale….LOL LOL

77 LD April 10, 2012 at 9:58 am

I’m in Canada but bought two of these cards when I was in the US. Even though the card says “valid only in US and Canada”, I wasn’t able to use it to buy gems. I got the message below – any ideas?

“Whoops!

78 Lura April 10, 2012 at 10:00 am

LD: I was under the impression the cards were US only, but if your card said it was valid in Canada, go ahead and contact Pogo’s customer service.

79 ~*~Bobbi~*~* (bjvs1118) April 10, 2012 at 11:34 am

LD#77
I looked at the back of my EA Card & it does say U.S & Canada
==where it starts: ..Compatable software,……….Card is valid
only in U.S. and Canada… etc. ==
(I did think that they were able 2b used in Canada)
*hope EA support will help you get the Gems added to your account*