Pogo Games App Coming to Android in April

March 11, 2012 · 33 comments

Android logoAccording to a post today on the Softonic OnSoftware blog, EA has been showing off the Android version of the Pogo Games app at GDC. According to the post’s description, it sounds like the Android app will be an exact port of the iOS Pogo Games app. The post states it will be available in April with five games (likely the same launch games from the iOS Pogo Games app: Word Whomp, Turbo 21, Poppit, Mahjong Safari, and Sweet Tooth 2).

Stay tuned to BadgeHungry for more information as it becomes available and a post when the app is available for download.

Filed under: pogo games app

1 goNILor4p March 11, 2012 at 9:49 am

I really hope it has badges.

2 MomsBassetHound March 11, 2012 at 10:29 am

Probably the same weekly badge that we get on the iDevice.

3 popcornlady March 11, 2012 at 10:34 am

the kindle fire is an android device .any idea if the app will work on the kindle fire?

4 Joe C March 11, 2012 at 11:38 am

The biggest questions are:
Will there be weekly badges?
Will the requirements for the weekly badges be identical to the iPogo weekly badge?
If a player wins an iPogo badge, is that the same badge as the Pogo Android weekly badge?
Will we finally be able to do old iPogo/Pogo Android weekly challenges?
Will we finally be able to earn rank badges at ranks 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50?
Will there be yearly completion badges for iPogo/Android “year” albums?

I personally love the iPogo challenges. Every week, it is my FAVORITE part of new challenges. I would not mind doing the same or different challenges on the Android device (like my Kindle Fire), depending on whether rank/weekly challenge progress is linked between iPogo and Pogo Android.

If the “mobile” badges are linked between iPogo and Pogo Android, I probably will play the singular badge on my Kindle Fire, which has a bigger and better screeen than my iTouches.

5 DDerbykins March 11, 2012 at 11:48 am

YAY!! Sure hope it works on my Kindle Fire. I can play a few embedded games, but they are not practical because they are slow or awkward w/o a mouse. I got the Fire to keep me entertained when traveling and I love it, but I was disappointed that there was no app for Pogo.

6 Ivan March 11, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I just bought an android phone. Great news!

7 jennbrewers March 11, 2012 at 12:47 pm

This is great news! I had an iPhone for about 3 months when Pogo became available, but then I did a 180 and got an Android. I am looking forward to having Pogo on my phone again!

8 shygirlornot March 11, 2012 at 12:57 pm

well i hope so and yes i hope they have badges to. :)

sherry

9 Ed March 11, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Sorry to be dumb- it’s been some time since the Pogo apps for phones have been discussed. Do the badges count in your Pogo total and/or show up in any of the albums or in your collection?

10 MomsBassetHound March 11, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Ed #9 – There is only 1 weekly badge on the iDevice and it does count in your total badge count. Just recently I found out that you can see the badges in the Special Edition Album, but only on the UK site. They are included in the number of badges in the Spec Ed Album on the US site, but you can not view them.

Currently there are ranks, but no rank badges.

There are 7 games on the iDevice app at this time, but only 6 work. They still have not fixed World Class Solitaire, so no badges for that game yet.

11 Evil Queen March 11, 2012 at 3:40 pm

FINALLY!!! This has been a long time coming. LOL

12 papafrenchie47 March 11, 2012 at 4:22 pm

hi ty mom i check the uk and i see them there hope we can still get the badges on the ipad because thats all have for now ok you all tc gb always april

13 Storm March 11, 2012 at 6:04 pm

MomsBassetHound #10 – Is the World Class Solitaire game having problems? I played it on Wednesday – just before the new challenge came out and it was fine, haven’t logged in since…

14 BonBon March 11, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I can play the World Class Pogo app game just fine. It works for me too Storm

15 MomsBassetHound March 11, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Storm #13 – It has never worked right, doesn’t keep correct stats on rank. It doesn’t even let some go past rank 1. That’s why there has never been a weekly challenge.

16 Indy Cindy March 11, 2012 at 6:54 pm

The World Class Solitaire on iDevices is very unreliable. You can get to the end and not get credit. Sometimes you can’t move cards, sometimes it freezes, doesn’t keep score correctly, etc. They really need to fix it. Glad that Android may have a pogo ap. Wish they’d make the weekly challenge different, but I have a feeling Moms is correct and they’ll all be the same. Rank badges would be nice, too. I have an Android phone and an iPad, so I’m good to go either way.

17 GenieBn2 March 11, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Yay!!! Finally! I’m an Android girl, I refuse to join the iphone cult as tempted as I was when the pogo app came to the ios. A little patience paid off though. Great news!

18 swerley00 (Steph) March 11, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Yay! I just got a new Android phone last week. I am glad to see this finally happening after so many “coming soons.”

19 Tazzu March 11, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Call me goofy or just behind the times.

What exactly is an android???

20 Crystal aka crissylynn85 March 11, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Can’t wait.

21 ImTheGreenFairry March 12, 2012 at 12:27 am

freakin sweet! i’m upgrading in july for my birthday, perfect timing!

22 CaptHitsugaiya March 12, 2012 at 7:00 am

Kindle Fire is Android. So is the Barnes & Noble Nook.

Since this app is likely to be more phone-based, it will probably optimised for Android 2.2-2.4, instead of 3.0+, which is strictly for tablets. I know of only ONE tablet under $300 that uses 3.0+. Fire, Nook and the rest all use jumped-up phone versions; normally 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4.
It should be noted that those versions do NOT work well in tablets as they were designed for the smaller screens of cellphones.
Even the iOS that iPad runs is different from that used by the iPhone/iPod Touch to make it more suitable for the larger screen of the tablet.

On the subject of badges, will Pogo ever make older weekly badges available for those of us who did not buy an iPhone/iPod Touch before the app was released?

23 Lura March 12, 2012 at 7:08 am

CaptHitsugaiya: Kindle Fire *is* Android, but a specialized version for the Fire. For example, while most Android devices default to the Android Store to purchase their apps, the Kindle Fire’s Android software doesn’t even have access, you’re forced into using Amazon’s App Store instead. The drawback, obviously, is that when Pogo releases the Pogo Games App, it might not be available in the Amazon App Store at the same time, if at all. (From what I’ve heard, some of the Flash games on the Pogo.com site that run fine on other recent versions of the Android OS don’t run at all on the Kindle Fire, but that’s a separate issue entirely.)

There’s no guarantee that the Pogo Games App will be available for the Kindle Fire; we’ll just have to wait and see.

As far as the weekly badges go, we’ll have to wait and see on those as well, but for now the best practice is to earn the badges as they come out each week. Those of you who missed some can either hope they start repeating or that Pogo allows past challenges to be repeated/earned or (I hesitate to even mention it) purchased at a later date.

24 Stef140 March 12, 2012 at 12:38 pm

It’s about time! I have been sitting here with this Android phone for months thinking, man I wish I could play pogo from here. I spend 2 hours a day on a ferry with only my phone, so this will be perfect for me. And I can finally take advantage of the weekly for the idevices….hopefully? I really hope we’ll get that badge too, or something similar.

25 DDerbykins March 12, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Ah Lura…you have burst my bubble. I was really hoping this app would work on my Fire and the App Store thing didn’t occur to me. Guess I won’t be too disappointed if it doesn’t work when it comes out…I have been prepared. ;~)

26 jim March 12, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Tazzy Andoid is one of the operating systems for smartphones others are Iphone and blackberry, think back to the 80s when it was VHS vs Beta when it came to buying movies or renting them for your VCR, today its the Android vs IPhone for your smartphone purchase.

27 robero March 12, 2012 at 6:16 pm

like the ipod badges, one won’t need a phone for these, but since they will be the same badges one gets on an ipod, no need for the andorid phone or ipod phone at all–at least we save money

28 CaptHitsugaiya March 13, 2012 at 8:31 am

iPod Touch is not a phone. The iPhone is a phone. I have an iPod Touch 32GB and the Pogo app. On an iPod Touch, you need Wi-Fi to use the app for ranks and badges. The iPhone can go Wi-Fi or 3G/4G to connect. Most iPads are Wi-Fi-only. The 3G version is only available from AT&T or Verizon, in the US.

The only Android tablets with 3G/4G connectivity are the Samsung Galaxy (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint) and Motorola Xoom (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint). All of the rest are Wi-Fi-only. All Android phones can obviously go 3G/4G, depending on the make/model and carrier.

29 Loretta Ziegler March 21, 2012 at 3:09 pm

cant wait…hurry up APP.

30 Ray March 27, 2012 at 1:22 am

LAME! The iPhone app is lame too. I wish they would stop refusing to make their site compatible with iPads, Android tablets and other mobile devices. They need to get with the program. 5 games? Insulting.

31 roe March 27, 2012 at 10:15 pm

i cant wait until it comes out.i got the new kindle and its boring with out games lets go pogo make me happy

32 sky22707 April 10, 2012 at 4:33 pm

i cant wait for it yippppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeee

33 Lura April 10, 2012 at 4:36 pm