Play Pogo on Your iPad and iPhone/iPod Touch

June 27, 2011 · 27 comments

Play Pogo on your iPad and iPhone with Splashtop Remote DesktopHey iPad, iPod, and iPhone owners, I’ve got some news for you! You can play Pogo on your iPad and iPhone/iPod Touch. No, this isn’t the Pogo Games for iPhone app that came out last year, this is full Pogo.com and Club Pogo browsing, ranking up and earning badges, using a program called Splashtop Remote Desktop. Splashtop connects to your PC or Mac and allows you to control it via your iOS device. Pretty much everything that you can do with your PC or Mac, you can do with Splashtop…including Pogo.

Look, I’m playing Lottso! on my iPad!

Pogo on iPad2, Play Pogo on your iPad and iPhone/iPod Touch

To get started, download Splashtop 2 Remote Desktop for iPhone & iPod or Splashtop 2 Remote Desktop for iPad.

You’ll also need to install the Splashtop Streamer on your PC or Mac on the same network as your iPhone/iPod Touch or iPad. Once you’ve got both the app and the streamer installed, you should be set. You can refer to the Splashtop Remote web site for technical support in getting started.

Once you’re connected to your desktop and controlling it via your iPad or iPhone/iPod Touch, the controls will take a little getting used to, especially the double-finger drag to scroll in a window.

Splashtop Remote Desktop Controls

Luckily, most games require only a tap. If you need the keyboard, there’s an icon in the lower right corner that will bring up the iOS keyboard plus a few extra controls.

All Pogo games, whether they’re Flash or Java, work just fine using Splashtop Remote Desktop. Some games are easier to control with a touchscreen than others. BonBon shared that she actually got better scores in Pogo Bowl from her iPad than she did with her PC! Special thanks to her for sharing this app with us!

Please share your tips for playing Pogo games with the Splashtop Remote Desktop app in a comment below.

I personally cannot provide good tech support for this app, due to my limited knowledge of computer networks. All tech support questions should be directed to Splashtop, but if you have a question feel free to ask it here. Hopefully someone out there will know the answer! Thanks!

Filed under: general

1 BonBon June 27, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Sweet!!
Thanks for adding this Lura!
As I play more with it, I will add comments or suggestions here for others.

One comment I will add now is when I was playing Bingo Luau running the ‘mouse arrow’ over the numbers that have been called, will not ‘highlight’ so if you play in the super speedy 3-card room it is hard to keep up with the bingo caller.

~~Bon

2 Mspatmac June 27, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I am in Pogo heaven. Downloaded onto laptop and got the app from iTunes and now playing Pogo very nicely on iPad.

Laptop must be on and open (not in sleep mode) and connection is lost if I close cover. Whatever you normally see when you turn on pc/laptop will show on your device. I can access any icon I have on my desktop. Also can use iPad from another room. Set laptop to go to sleep if I turn off app from iPad so if I choose to play in another room and disconnect from the app, I do not have to return to room where laptop is. Will be great for a few quick games in bed before sleep.

it is fast and easy to use. Ideal for players who are currently using desk top PC who want to play in another room.

3 Lura June 27, 2011 at 9:03 pm

For what it’s worth, Splashtop is available on Android too. I have not tested it yet, but if you get a chance to play with it before I do please contact me with some details and I’ll write a separate Android-specific post.

Thanks!

4 Linda Chicken June 27, 2011 at 10:28 pm

That is SO awesome ~ I won’t even have to mess w/laptop now — phone will do it ALL….come on vacation! lol Thank you SO much for the update/info :)

5 wheatonmom44 June 27, 2011 at 10:32 pm

OK… Some of us, as in wheat, are very electronically challenged. This is something that can just be played on your iphone at home? Not at the grocery store, etc.? I have a harder time playing with the iphone than the laptop so maybe this is something I should not get real excited about? I can see if you had an ipad how it would be fun but maybe not so with just an iphone.

My friend groova emailed me all about this a few hours ago and I was thinking OK now who can I get to put this thing on my phone for me. She tells me I should have all these certain apps on my phone…umm hello…I have no clue how to do any of that. The sad part is we are the same age yet she is light years ahead of me with technology :(

6 Honey June 27, 2011 at 11:15 pm

This sounded like a good idea, but for the life of me I cannot get my ipod touch 3g to connect to my computer. Does the computer itself need wifi? My computer (vista) doesn’t have wifi, but the router we use does. The message I keep getting from the app is “could not reach”. I’ve even disabled the firewall and still can’t connect.

7 stretchdogg June 28, 2011 at 12:42 am

Works great! What a find, this App. I’m not the most tech person but I got it set up and tried a few games. Need to get used to the interface, but I like this. Makes me think of “Go To My PC” which is a way more expensive program. And, aren’t we now running flash on an IPAD, sorta… which Apple doesn’t like? Well I guess it’s running on the host PC, but I’m just sayin’.

8 Linda Chicken June 28, 2011 at 7:57 am

Last night this worked like a top ~ this morning all it does is show the Java window for a down load…

9 Kat8mouse June 28, 2011 at 8:07 am

Will it work for the ipod touch? Probably not since you don’t have a connection all the time, just depending on where you are.

10 legalsec5 June 28, 2011 at 11:22 am

Do you have to keep laptop or desktop on and in pogo to get it to work on iPod?

11 BonBon June 28, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Here’s what I know so far…..

#5 wheatonmom44
You can use this app on your iPhone or iPod (as long as you have a wifi connection working) but I would suppose to play Pogo games on your iPhone/iPod the screen will be a bit small to click on the things you need to play the game with. (If that makes sense) You also can play away from home if you connect your gmail account with it. They have instructions on how to set that up, but I tested it while at McDonald’s (they have wifi) and I was able to play away from home.

#6 Honey
As far as I know you have to be connected via wifi. I have not tested it to see if it works via 3G. The Splashtop website should be able to answer that question for you.

#9 Kat8mouse
According to the Splashtop app it is suppose to work on iPod touch too. I have both the iPad and iPod but have only bought it for my iPad since the playing screen is bigger.

#10 legalsec5
To answer your question. Yes, you have to keep your desk and/or laptop on BUT you don’t have to be signed into Pogo when you connect. Think of it as an exact picture of your computer yet on your iPad/iPod. You can log into Pogo once the app is running on your device.

12 Lura June 28, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I have to apologize — I assumed that iPod Touch owners knew that what they had was an iPhone without the phone part. I have updated the text in the post above to read iPhone/iPod Touch where applicable.

And yes, this works great on an iPod Touch. To be honest, the screen size is a limitation on the iPhone and iPod Touch — an iPad is way easier to see and use.

13 Kali June 28, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Hmm, I can’t figure out how to drag a card to an open pile in Aces Up using Splashtop, can anyone tell me how?

14 BonBon June 29, 2011 at 2:21 am

#13 Kali
I tried Ace’s Up and I found to move a card, tap and hold your finger down and slide the card to the empty spot. The card was not directly under my finger but I was able to maneuver it over to the empty spot.

15 halftime1995 June 29, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I downloaded the apps on both my ipad and my computer but none of the games will load, Don’t know what I did wrong

16 Anne June 29, 2011 at 1:14 pm

It seems like you have to be on a wifi network to use this. It doesn’t work on the 3G network so it isn’t going to help me much at the pool and that was what I really wanted. I have the Iphone and can’t believe we have to go through so much to just play games because they won’t support java. That’s why I didn’t get the IPad :( This works great at home though so maybe sitting outside where my phone still picks up the wifi..definitely a start on the right path for us pogo addicts lol

17 BonBon June 29, 2011 at 1:32 pm

#16 Anne
This is the description for the app at the app store:
Access your PC programs, games, multimedia content, and files over Wi-Fi and 3G/4G networks. Go everywhere with just your iPhone without having to carry your computer!

According to it, you can use it with your 3G.. hmm wonder why it’s not working for you.
I have a 3G card with my iPad but I’ve not activated it yet cause I haven’t gone anywhere that didn’t have wifi I could use. (And I’ve saved money not activating it yet)
Once I have 3G running instead of wifi, I’m going to give it a try, see if it works.

18 Richard June 29, 2011 at 3:31 pm

This is a great app. It cost a whole $2.99 for my IPad and I can access my home computer while sitting on my porch watching the birds.

This allows me to not only have the Pogo games on my IPad but I can access my complete computer from my IPad. I was able to access my E Mail account without getting up.

What I also like is the password protection that is needed to use this program before it will connect to your own computer.

19 Honey June 29, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I guess my actual computer has to have wifi then? My computer doesn’t have wifi, but my router does. Doesn’t matter anyway because shortly after I installed the Windows Splashtop program. I’m pretty sure it did a number on my computer. I had to restart and when I did it told me something had corrupted one of the necessary Windows files and it wouldn’t let me login to anything. I couldn’t even get to the taskbar or desktop without booting up in safe mode. Windows was just this black screen with the message that my files had been corrupted. I counted my losses, booted into safe mode and used system restore to restore to the point before I installed the Splashtop program. After that I was able to use my computer again. So be wary of this program at least for Windows.

It was interesting how the problem went away after I restored to the point before Splashtop was installed. It may not have been that program, but I didn’t do anything prior to installing it either.

20 melciatitch July 2, 2011 at 7:03 am

I took this for a spin on my iPod as I love the iPogo (thanks Lura for that nic lol) Word Whomp using touch and wanted the Pogo version for the iPod. First off, you will want to set screen resolution at 800×600 in the app and you will want a stylus. Fingers trying to get mouse arrow in place was difficult even at the best of times. And I ended up using the side bar to scroll down the page especially on the faster comp as I couldn’t seem to get it right and kept bouncing from the top to the bottom of the page and vice versa.

I tested this with four games – Word Whomp, Bingo Luau, Dice City Roller, and First Class Solitaire. I used both my low end and mid-to-upper range computer and came to the conclusion that the faster your home computer the better. I am using an older wifi so a faster wifi router may improve play, but found on both that the game didn’t respond fast enough for anything timed. You can play Bingo, but plan on needing at least 15-20 numbers to fill in the cards (in shared rooms). Word Whomp I was always waiting for the game to catch up to put the next word or sometimes even letter in. DCR if I got a bit quicker might work, but I had problems there getting dice in place before timer ran out. First Class wasn’t a problem since I could wait to make my next move.

I didn’t test using this away from home, but will probably set that up and do so as I can see it having uses when I am away from home and sitting somewhere that has free wifi.

My advice? Plan on using this with an iPad more than an iPhone/iPod.

I wasn’t planning on getting an iPad, not seeing any use for it with the iPod. My next purchase was going to be a netbook for away from home computer use. This app changes all of that – iPad is now getting a second hard look as some things are very definitely easier with a touch screen lol.

And thanks Lura for a great site – I just recently checked it out and love it.

21 BonBon July 3, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I agree with you #20 melciatitch
The games with timers are a bit harder to accomplish cause of the delay between computer and iPad.
I own an iPod as well but I didn’t buy the app for it since that screen is so much smaller than the iPad’s.
I have a stylus and it works good when you have to put that arrow on an exact spot. It works better than my finger. A tip: you can stretch the iPad screen larger by doing that ‘pinch apart’ thing and your Pogo playing screen will grow. That also helped when making the arrow land in the exact spot.
I like the use of the iPad because a laptop gets so hot when it runs and I like the coolness and the lightweight of the iPad. Also, I agree on ‘some games were easier to ‘touch’ rather than the use of a mouse on a computer’.
I love my iPad and so happy to have one. :-)

22 Jancee43 July 9, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Help. I down loaded Splashtop and Splashtop Streamer. I can get on Pogo and do everything except my games won’t load. Can someone help me?

23 BonBon July 10, 2011 at 2:59 pm

#22 Jancee43
If your game won’t load, it’s cause your computer won’t load it. It has nothing to do with the Splashtop. Your iPad is only showing the exact thing that is on your computer when you get your app going on the iPad.

I suggest you put your name in the game you want to play BEFORE you turn on the Splashtop app THEN get your app going on your iPad and once the app starts it will show you in your Pogo room. It’s not the Splashtop/iPad that loads your Pogo room, it’s your computer that puts you there first.

Hope that helps and makes sense.
~~ Bon

24 Jancee43 July 10, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Thanks Bon! I appreciate the help. It works.

Janice

25 BonBon July 10, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Jancee43 –
*smiles* Happy to be of assistance!

26 Lea Ann July 16, 2011 at 12:25 am

Is the charge for the Splashtop App a one time charge or a monthy charge?

27 Lura July 16, 2011 at 8:03 am

Lea Ann: it’s a one-time charge, once you buy the app it’s yours (and so are its upgrades) forever.